Doreen Virtue (born April 29, 1958) is an American author and a motivational speaker. Virtue has written over 50 books including oracle card decks on the subject of angels and other spiritual topics. In 2017, she converted to Christianity after claiming that Jesus presented himself to her in a vision.
Education and early career[edit | edit source]
Virtue received an associate degree in liberal arts from Antelope Valley College in Lancaster, California, and obtained a B.A. in Psychology in 1986 and an M.A. in Counseling psychology in 1988 from Chapman University in Orange, California. Virtue earned a Doctorate of Philosophy in Psychology from then unaccredited California Coast University in 1996. (CCU received accreditation from the Distance Education and Training Council in 2005, and is accredited for its program in Educational Psychology.) The subject of her dissertation was the tendency of adults who suffered childhood sexual abuse to develop addictions such as eating disorders.
Doreen L. Virtue held a license as a Registered Psychological Assistant, as well as a license as a Marriage & Family Therapist Intern issued September 6, 1989. For a time she was psychological director of an inpatient psychiatric women's unit at Cumberland Hall Psychiatric Hospital in Nashville, Tennessee.
Doreen began publishing psychology and self-help books on topics such as child custody and eating disorders before changing the focus of her work and writing spiritually-oriented topics.
Personal life[edit | edit source]
Virtue was born on April 29, 1958 to a Christian Scientist family in California. She reports clairvoyant abilities such as seeing and conversing with spirits since she was a young child. In her twenties, she married Larry Schenk, with whom she had her two sons, Grant and Charles. Virtue has said that Schenk was possessive and emotionally abusive, leading to the couples' eventual divorce.
Her second husband was Dwight Virtue, whom she divorced for undisclosed reasons. In 1995, Doreen Virtue married Michael Tienharra, the owner of a small art gallery in Newport Beach, CA. She was divorced from Michael Tienharra in 1999. Virtue was married for a fourth time to Steven Farmer, a fellow Hay House author. They were divorced in 2009. Her current partner is Michael David Robinson (Virtue)
She has been a vegan since 1996. In 2017, she denounced the New Age and now lives as a “born-again Christian”. This radical change started when she had a vision of Jesus in church on January 7, 2017 and was finalized by her baptism a month later.
Current career[edit | edit source]
Virtue previously wrote for the publishing company Hay House and had a number of books, audiobooks and oracle card decks, published with them on various topics such as angels, fairies, indigo children, and ascended masters. Since her baptism on February 25, 2017, Doreen only writes scripturally (except for a weekly New Age column in Woman's World), even though some of her previous writing is still being sold by her former publisher. She has removed some products from the marketplace, removed her name from co-authored books, donated royalties from sales of Tarot-related products to the Hay Foundation Charity, and rewritten books to be "scripturally correct" though she lacks any formal education in Theology. As of April 2018, she claims that she only had the ability to perform divination while she was in the New Age movement because she was possessed by the spirit of python.
Published works[edit | edit source]
- My Kids Don't Live With Me Anymore: Coping With the Custody Crisis CompCare Pubns 1988.
- The Yo-Yo Diet Syndrome HarperCollins 1990.
- Chocoholic's Dream Diet Bantam 1990.
- In the Mood: How to Create Romance, Passion, and Sexual Excitement by Falling in Love All Over Again HarperCollins 1995.
- Yo-Yo Relationships: How to Break the 'I Need a Man' Habit and Find Stability Fairview 1996.
- I'd Change My Life If I Had More Time Hay House 1996.
- Your Emotions, Yourself: A Guide to Your Changing Emotions (Your Body, Your Self Book, with Tanya Brokaw) Lowell House, 1996.
- The Lightworker's Way Hay House 1997.
- Angel Therapy Hay House 1997.
- Chakra Clearing Hay House 1998.
- Constant Craving A-Z: A Simple Guide to Understanding and Healing Your Food Cravings Hay House 1999.
- Healing with the Angels Hay House 1999.
- Angel Visions Hay House 2000. Hay House
- Angel Visions II Hay House 2001. Hay House
- Healing with the Fairies Hay House 2001.
- The Care and Feeding of Indigo Children Hay House 2001.
- Eating in the Light (With Becky Prelitz) Hay House 2001.
- Losing Your Pounds of Pain Hay House 2002.
- Messages from your Angels Hay House 2002.
- The Crystal Children Hay House 2003.
- Chakra Clearing: Awakening Your Power to Know and Heal (With Book and CD) Hay House 2004.
- Archangels & Ascended Masters Hay House 2004.
- Crystal Therapy: How to Heal and Empower Your Life with Crystal Energy Hay House 2005.
- Angel Numbers (With Lynette Brown) Hay House 2005.
- Angel Medicine: How to Heal the Body and Mind with the Help of the Angels Hay House 2005.
- Divine Magic: The Seven Sacred Secrets of Manifestation Hay House 2006.
- Angels 101: An Introduction to Connecting, Healing, and Working with the Angels Hay House 2006.
- Goddesses & Angels: Awakening Your Inner High Priestess and Source-eress Hay House 2007.
- Realms of the Earth Angels Hay House 2007.
- Daily Guidance From Your Angels: 365 Messages... Hay House 2007.
- Healing Words From the Angels: 365 Daily Messages Hay House 2007.
- How to Hear Your Angels Hay House 2007.
- Thank You, Angels! (with Kristina Tracy) Hay House 2007.
- My Guardian Angel: True Stories of Angelic Encounters from the Readers of Woman's World Magazine Hay House 2007.
- Solomon's Angels: A Novel Hay House 2008.
- Angel Numbers 101 Hay House 2008.
- Daily Guidance From Your Angels: 4-Color Gift Edition Hay House 2008.
- The Miracles of Archangel Michael Hay House 2008.
- Signs From Above: Your Angels' Messages about Your Life Purpose, Relationships, Health, and More (With Charles Virtue) Hay House 2009.
- The Art of Raw Living Food (With Jenny Ross) Hay House 2009.
- Archangels 101: How to Connect Closely with Archangels Michael, Raphael, Uriel, Gabriel and Others for Healing, Protection, and Guidance Hay House 2010.
- Angel Words: Visual Evidence of How Words Can Be Angels in Your Life (With Grant Virtue) Hay House 2010.
- The Healing Miracles of Archangel Raphael Hay House 2011.
- 21 Days to Improve Communicating With Your Angel Hay House 2011.
- Saved By An Angel: True Accounts of People Who Have Had Extraordinary Experiences with Angels...and How YOU Can, Too! Hay House 2011.
- Fairies 101: An Introduction to Connecting, Working, and Healing with the Fairies and Other Elementals Hay House 2011.
- Divine Prescriptions: Spiritual Solutions for You and Your Loved Ones Hay House 2011.
- Constant Craving: What Your Food Cravings Mean and How to Overcome Them Hay House 2011.
- The Angel Therapy Handbook Hay House 2011.
- Mary, Queen of Angels Hay House 2012.
- Flower Therapy Hay House 2012.
- Living Without Pain Hay House 2014.
- Mornings with the Lord: A Year of Uplifting Devotionals to Start Your Day on the Right Path Hay House 2017.
- Sweet Dreams Scripture: Bible Verses and Prayers to Calm and Soothe You (Scripture Series) Hay House 2017.